Scott P. Shaw was named a “Super Lawyer” in 2017-2021 by Los Angeles magazine – a distinction recognizing the top five percent of attorneys for excellence in the practice of law. Prior to this distinction, he was named a “Rising Star” for 8 years, and honored as one of the “Top 25 Orange County Rising Stars” (2007-2015) and “Top 100 Southern California Rising Stars
Mr. Shaw is a Shareholder with Call & Jensen where he specializes in litigation and strategic client counseling. He is a passionate advocate who fights hard to achieve success for all his clients. In litigation, Mr. Shaw’s accomplishments include many trial and pretrial victories, including the following:
- $95.5 million order in a trademark case against a major retailer.
- $47 million verdict in copyright and trade secrets trial for telecommunications company.
- $1.4 million judgment in arbitration trial for lender.
- $400,000 settlement in trademark case for addiction recovery company.
- Complete defense verdict for major retailer in copyright trial.
- Complete defense of preliminary injunction for major high-end retailers in trademark case.
- Complete defense victory in copyright arbitration trial for educational company.
- Complete defense victory of trademark case for national retailer after successful pretrial motions.
- Complete defense verdict in employment discrimination trial for high-end clothing boutique.
- Complete class dismissals of in multiple wage and hour class actions.
- Complete defense victories on summary judgment in multiple copyright cases.
On the client counseling side, Mr. Shaw regularly advises clients regarding daily legal issues, licensing agreements, contract negotiations and revisions, intellectual property and brand protection strategies, and other complex business matters. He typically develops long-lasting relationships with clients so he can understand their business and recommend appropriate cost-effective legal solutions.
Mr. Shaw’s industry experience includes fashion, retail, technology, sports and footwear, action sports, food and beverage, appliances, and consumer products. He has also created and developed a Fashion Law course, which he taught for Charleston Law School as an Adjunct Professor.
Mr. Shaw graduated from USC Law School in 2002 where he was a member of the Interdisciplinary Law Journal. Also during law school, Mr. Shaw served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Consuelo B. Marshall for the United States District Court, Central District of California. Mr. Shaw graduated with high honors from University of California at Santa Barbara in 1999.
Memberships & Organizations
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- American Bar Association (Litigation and Intellectual Property Law Sections)
- Orange County Bar Association (Business Litigation and Intellectual Property & Technology Law Sections)
- American Business Trial Lawyers
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- California Fashion Association
- Association of Surfing Lawyers, Inc.
- “Vanquishing the Copyright Troll”, DRI For the Defense, August 2018
- “Proactivity and Problem Solving Are Keys to Avoiding Costly Litigation,” Orange County Business Journal, October, 2016
- “The Great Infringer”, California Lawyer, April, 2015
- “Consumer Goods & Retail Roundtable”, Los Angeles Business Journal, February, 2015
- “Tips for Entering Into a License Agreement”, Shop-Eat-Surf, Industry Insight, November, 2011
- “Triple A For Action Sports”, Transworld Business, September, 2011
- “Copyright That Collection!”, Los Angeles Daily Journal, 2009
- “Applying the Apportionment Theory in Copyright and Trademark Cases Involving Apparel and Retail Defendants”, Orange County Lawyer, 2009
- “Does Senate Bill 1539 Really Provide a Solution to the Meal Period Morass?” Orange County Lawyer, 2008
- “FACTA Checking”, Los Angeles Daily Journal, 2007
- “Defending and Managing Copyright Troll Litigation,” Retail Law Conference (RILA), Nashville, Tennessee, October 2019
- “Intellectual Property Litigation Seminar, DRI, Ritz-Carlton, Denver, Colorado, April 2018
- “Decisions You Need to Know: Key Trademark Cases from 2014,” INTA Roundtable, Newport Beach, CA, January 2015
- “Fashion Retailing in the United States,” MAGIC Tradeshow, Las Vegas Convention Center, August 2014
- “Apparel Legal Basics”, Fashion Business Incorporated Webinar, July 2011
- MAGIC Tradeshow, Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, February 2011
- “Fashion Law – Issues and Challenges in California,” Association of Surfing Lawyers, Inc., October 9, 2010, Cabo Surf Hotel, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
- “Current State of Copyright and Trademark/Trade Dress Law,” Globaltex — California Fashion Association Panel and Seminar, October 2009, Los Angeles Convention Center, Los Angeles, California
- “Intellectual Property Litigation,” Bridgeport CLE Program, January 2008, Westin Bonaventure Hotel, Los Angeles, California